On Tuesday night (a week ago! Can you tell I'm a little behind?), a handful of people from work got together for our annual NNICU Christmas party, only this year's party was a little different. I didn't have anything for comparison because I have worked the nighshift of the previous year's event, but I've been told it's usually pretty fancy. Instead of a dressier cocktail party this year, the unit decided to have a mini-Festivus gathering at Taco Boy in downtown Charleston. It was really laid-back, and a fun group of people came to celebrate! Here's part of the group outside before it started raining:
Our frozen screwdrivers-Taco Boy has some great fresh frozen drinks!
Taylor, Jaime, Emily and myself
A few of our cute pregnant girls in the unit: Ashley and Jaime. Both having girls!
And the non-pregnant girls enjoying a cocktail!
My parents came into town on Thursday morning to settle in for Kevin's big graduation day on Saturday. Mom and I did a little shopping for wedding reception venues and got mani/pedis so that I can show my ring off in style! The rest of the family made their way into Charleston on Friday afternoon and Saturday morning. Friday night, we enjoyed a good dinner at O'Brion's Pub...
My sweet parents
My Aunt Donnie and cousin Dorian
Saturday morning came bright and early as the rest of the family trickled into town and we prepared for my little brother's college graduation! We met at the Embassy Suites Hotel where my family was staying for a few pictures before the ceremony.
Joseph with his future in-laws!
We then headed over to the new College of Charleston Coliseum in the brisk morning air to get good seats for the ceremony.
Because it was a winter graduation, it was much smaller than the spring ceremony...It was a beautiful set-up, though, with lots of gorgeous red and white flowers adorning the stage!
My Uncle Michael, Aunt Diane, and Granny Laird made it to town that morning. Here we are anxiously awaiting the start of graduation!
So proud of our college grad!
Stands starting to really fill up...
Ceremony start! Professors and other staff came in first...
And next the graduates! College of Charleston has a really neat graduation tradition...the Bachelors students don't wear caps and gowns, but rather tuxes and dresses. In the spring, everyone wears white. For the winter graduation, the guys wear black tuxes and the girls beautiful black dresses. Red roses comprise the boutennieres for the men while the ladies carry 6 long stemmed red roses tied together with a beautiful white bow. Such a pretty ceremony!
There's Kevin behind the guy with the grey kimono! We were happy he was next to someone who was so easy to pick out! ;)
Forgive me, the next few pictures aren't totally focused, but our seats were at a distance! Waiting to walk across the stage...
Finally his turn!
"Bachelors in Business Administration with a Minor in Spanish..."
Our handsome grad was all smiles!!
After the ceremony wrapped up, we headed to Wasabi's in the market area of Charleston to have a celebratory lunch! Here's Kevin with my parents.
Father and son
Sweet kisses for mom!
Goofy siblings...congratulations Krevin!
Table shot courtesy of Joseph, the day's photographer :)
Cousins!
Kisses from sissy...I'm so proud of him!
Kevin with Uncle Michael (Goooo Dawgs!!)
With part of dad's side of the family...his mom and brother came from Savannah to be there with us!
Last family shot before we headed out of town, saying goodbye to Charleston for awhile!
I joined my family in going home that day to spend some time in Spartanburg before having to come back to Charleston to work Christmas. In the NNICU, we usually have to come in every other Christmas and since I had last year's off, I'm back on this year. As soon as I got home, my rapidly developing cold turned into an upper respiratory infection! So I unfortunately spent most of the time after graduation until now in bed. BUT, I had plenty of time to take pictures of my parent's beautifully decorated house. Welcome to the Laird's!
My room's cute Christmas tree...
Our big family Christmas tree, complete with ornaments from before we were born! I love our tree :)
Stockings hung by the chimney with care...
Even the puppies have their own! Tipper's has a special note in hers...we miss you very much sweet girl.
I did make it out of bed briefly Sunday night to ride around with my parents to see the best lights in town! The Spartanburg trolley took us on a tour of just that while we sipped on hot cocoa and, of course, took lots of pictures! Our trolley...
One of the more impressive yards...not sure how you would even get to the front door with all the decorations!
The last stop on our tour was this beautiful house with lights and decorations everywhere! The man who owns the house is Doc Phillips, and he is gracious enough to let those on these tours stop and walk around his winter wonderland. Even though I was sniffly and coughing, I ventured out to take a closer look.
Together before I have to head back to work on the 23rd!
Doc uses over 130,000 lights each year and his electric bill is over $700!! He was a really neat guy, but the best part of his hard work is that he still remembers the reason for the season. Amen!
Happy holidays and Merry Christmas! :)




No comments:
Post a Comment