This has been a really tough week for our family. Our sweet dog, Tipper, was put to rest Monday afternoon after 15 years of unconditional love, joy, and wonderful memories. She had such a great and long life, which is the only thing that comforts us as we mourn her loss. Her health had been declining rather quickly over the last few months-first she stopped taking her 2 mile plus long walks that she loved doing everyday with my mom. She naturally started to slowly lose some muscle mass and weight after that. She was laying around a lot more and not eating like she used to. Then the past few weeks had been hard on her because her legs would give out sometimes when she'd walk around or go outside. She had labs drawn last week at the vet, and her liver enzymes were abnormally high. She was also having the start of kidney problems. This past weekend, she wasn't really able to get up on her own 90% of the time. She would try but needed a lot of help from us. She was losing more weight and didn't have enough energy to really go outside and sun herself like she used to love doing.
Our family made the heartbreaking decision on Monday to let her rest in peace after she had been such a blessing to us all. It was the right time, but it doesn't make her loss any easier to bear. She saw each one of us through so many good and bad times. She was like a friend, a daughter, a sister...dog-owners know how easily our pets become almost human to us. I was in seventh grade when we first got our sweet Tippy, and I remember that joyous day like it was yesterday! I am so thankful I went home this weekend and got to visit with her. There will never be another Tipper-the holidays will be so strange without her cold nose in our laps salivating over a "dropped" piece of turkey or ham. I get choked up everytime I think about coming home and her not being there to greet Penny and I as we bring in our luggage. But then I smile when I think about her running around in heaven, playing in the sunshine and eating as much ice cream and cheese as she can find. That thought brings my family and I peace and comfort.
Tipper, we love you very much and will miss you every single day.
I am struggling with this with my 15 1/2 year old dog. It is hard to let them go!!! So sorry for your loss!!!
ReplyDelete