Sunday, May 5, 2013

The Pregnancy Diaries...Weeks 30-36

So very far behind. Makes me wonder how I'll ever keep up with this thing post baby.

The last 7 weeks in a nutshell.

30 years, meet 30 weeks



How far along? 30 weeks and trying to get comfortable in there (please don't stay breech!). His skin is smoothing out, and his brain is wrinkling up. Which is a good thing. :)

Total weight gain/Baby size: 24 pounds. The little guy is the size of a cucumber and still about 3 pounds. 

Maternity clothes: Fo sho

Stretch marks: Nada

Belly button: Hanging on in for dear life

Sleep: Better with the pillow that costs about as much as a jumbo pack of diapers (yep, like an overeager contestant on the Price is Right, I'm beginning to learn the price of baby items).

Miss anything: Being able to wear the majority of my clothes. The small maternity subset of my closet, which I purposefully keep at the front, is starting to "grow" on me though. Pun intended. My stupid humor gets worse as the pregnancy goes along. Must be that whole "pregnancy brain" thing.

Food cravings: IIIIICCCEE. It's getting semi ridiculous. 

Symptoms: Insatiable hunger. And not for super healthy things either. Still peeing about 20 times a day and feeling this little one head bang my ribs from time to time (must still be heads up at this point).

Rings on or off: On

Mood: Good :)

Best moment this week: Showers! I was able to spend some time with my family this weekend celebrating baby Joseph at his first shower thrown by my godmother. The very next day, I joined in the festivities for Ashley at her first bridal shower. And managed to squeeze my butt into TWO pre-baby dresses for both. :) Boom.





Scenes from the babe's shower:








My godmother, the fabulous hostess


Public present opening is still the world's #1 awkward activity as far as I'm concerned, which I quickly learned while I was engaged. Still so grateful for amazing gifts from my family!






Mother Goose storyteller...such a neat gift. She reads stories out loud in the sweetest voice. Penny was not too impressed (read: tried to hide under the crib when we turned her on).

With a name like Dr. Brown, it has to be the best. ;)









And the disaster that ensued. I took these pictures before the OCD hubs came home. 



Shower recap!

A close runner-up to best moment of the week was making the crib skirt with my mom. Not by choice...I would have given my left arm to any seamstress willing to make this thing. But none were. So mom and I found a way, and it turned out really cute. Suck it Martha Stewart.



Looking forward to: Putting this bad boy to use in a few months! And celebrating Joseph's 32nd next week (old timer!).



How far along? 31 weeks and with all five senses fully developed. He keeps getting smarter, which is good since I think I might be getting dumber.

Total weight gain/Baby size: 26 pounds...eek! Two pounds in one week. I'm guessing the two days of cake last week had NOTHING to do with that. The munchkin is size of a pineapple! Feels about right.

Maternity clothes: Mom to the rescue. She brought me a bag of maternity shirts last weekend when she came for the shower.

Stretch marks: Seeing the slightest hint of one on my right lower belly. Not seeing much else past my lower belly. Although I still try to "move" it out of the way as if that will really work.

Belly button: Still an innie but only barely. 

Sleep: Not great this week, but more because of a busy schedule with clinical hours and work. 

Miss anything: A day off. Which has nothing to do with the pregnancy. I logged 36 hours of night shift, 24 hours of clinical, and 2 hours of doctor's appointments this week. Wah.

Food cravings: Pickles. Only kidding. Still ice. 

Symptoms: Heartburn, fatigue, and huffing and puffing with simple activities.

Rings on or off: On like donkey kong

Mood: Tired, slightly impatient. 

Best moment this week: Celebrating baby daddy's birfday. He selflessly wanted nothing for himself but instead asked for things for the baby. Happy 32nd JoeJoe!






Looking forward to: Going to ATL next week for one of Joseph's dental conferences and to visit my sweet Jaclyn!!


How far along? 32 weeks. Most babies are head down at this point. Ours insists on being special.

Total weight gain/Baby size: 27 pounds while the peanut is now the size of a squash. Peanut might not be the right word for this baby anymore!

Maternity clothes: Sha, and I stocked up on a few items for warmer weather while in Atlanta this week. 

Stretch marks: Just the "questionable" one on the lower right

Belly button: Oy vey, on the way out

Sleep: Not too bad this week. Probably catching up from last week.

Miss anything: The ease of getting dressed. It gets harder every day. I now make sound effects that would rival any player at Wimbledon while putting clothes on every morning.

Food cravings: Steak 'N Shake. Because there are none around here, I did not get to satisfy this craving. So I ate ice instead.

Symptoms: Pretty sure this picture speaks for itself. I finally got cankles. :(


Rings on or off: On but tight. 

Mood: Excited for a little trip out of town to Hotlanta!

Best moment this week: Our visit to the ATL. Joseph goes to a dental conference there every year, and I typically tag along. It's extra fun now since it means I get to visit Jaclyn who moved there last August.!

Visiting Stats, the sports and stocks bar downtown Atlanta. Being pregnant in a bar is not as cool as you might think.


Baby Joseph and his Aunt Jaclyn, 32 5/7 weeks!

Looking forward to: Easter next weekend and our church's outdoor service. One of my favorites of the year!


How far along? 33 weeks, and he's been a busy bee this week. More brain development, hardening bones, and learning to keep his little peepers open while he's awake. 

Total weight gain/Baby size: 28 pounds despite the fact that I can tell I'm holding on to more water. Baby B is the size of a durian. Riiiight. Exciting size fact is that he'll grow up to a full inch this week, putting him between 17 and 18 inches!

Maternity clothes: Oh yeah, though some of those are getting snug. Normal?

Stretch marks: Nope

Belly button: Outin. It's my new word.

Sleep: I feel him moving more at night and am starting to wake up to pee more at night, so sleep isn't great. Ironically, Penny has been getting up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, too. Gotta give the girl some credit for trying to prepare us.

What do you mean clean up my toys?

Miss anything: Mimosas! We spent the end of this weekend in Camden, SC for the annual Carolina Cup with Joseph's dad. I definitely missed one of my favorite day drinks on this fun occasion.







Food cravings: Baked cheddar and sour cream Lays chips. Those things are the best. But not as good as ice. :)

Symptoms: Because my metabolic rate is climbing steadily, I am more hot natured than ever. I will go an entire shift at work without putting on a jacket or sweatshirt or baking under one of our heat lamps. This is unheard of. It's nice not being SO COLD all the time. Still some swelling, especially in my hands and feet.

Rings on or off: Forcibly on

Mood: Excited, we have a fun April coming up!

Best moment this week: Outdoor Easter service; it's my absolute favorite of the year. We have so much to thank the Lord for this week, including the sacrifice of His Son for our sins. God is so good!




Only in Hilton Head

Looking forward to: Presenting my doctorate project and my Charleston baby shower!


How far along? 34 weeks, and he can pee up to a pint a day. We might be in a race to see who can pee more on a daily basis. 

Total weight gain/Baby size: 30 pounds. Dear Lord. That does not seem ok. He's the size of a butternut squash. I'm beginning to realize my baby continues to work up the squash food chain for size equivalents. 

Maternity clothes: Yep!

Stretch marks: Nope!

Belly button: Ok let's face it. It's pretty much out.

Sleep: Mhem. Tossing and turning a lot. 

Miss anything: My car. Again. I got into another fender bender last week, only this time it was in Bluffton. And I hit someone pulling a boat. So a twofer. I suck at driving.

Food cravings: Ice, ice, and more ice. Finding the best ice dispenser at MUSC has become my newest obsession (it's on the postpartum unit by the way).

Symptoms: Constipation. Yuck I know, but it's true. Minimal swelling. Bleeding. WHAT?! Yep, I had a major scare this week after my Charleston baby shower. We call it the "shower curse" in the NICU. I noticed after the party I had some (old) bleeding. Bleeding is NEVER normal during pregnancy. So I without letting my voice raise three octaves from panic, I called the on call doctor who told me to be seen at MUSC. With that, Emily and Katherine took me in to the L&D unit that I have cruised so many times before. You know, as a nurse. Not a patient. I was put into a bed, given a patient sticker, and made to wear one of those adorable hospital gowns. After two hours of monitoring and a very unpleasant cervical check, I was cleared of pre-term labor and given the go-ahead to work that night if I wanted. I came back to L&D two hours later in my more familiar role as NICU nurse. :)

Rings on or off: On but not without a struggle

Mood: Honestly, I was in a great mood this week. The Saturday post shower scare made me a little more anxious than I have been this entire pregnancy. My bleeding lasted for a few days, but once it went away, so did my anxiety.

Best moment this week: So many to choose from! I proudly presented my doctorate project for my classmates and professors, celebrated my sweet baby with the best friends a girl could ask for, and was relieved when a scare turned out to be nothing.

Shower #2
The beautiful hostesses, Em and Kat















Em and sweet Avery!
























Emmalyn visited, too! Crazy to think I'll have my own little rug rat soon enough 




Amazing group of girls...I will miss them on maternity leave!

So many wonderful gifts from generous friends

Looking forward to: Next week's ultrasound to see if my stubborn buddy is still breech and going home for the last tine pre-baby for Claire's wedding and my last shower!


How far along? 35 weeks. My baby has fully developed hearing that responds best to high-pitched noises. Sweet, he should LOVE mama's voice then.

Total weight gain/Baby size: Still at 30 pounds. Whew. My uterus has grown to 1000 times its original size, which is crazy. I am starting to really "feel" the weight I've gained this week. Baby Joseph is the size of a coconut but has another pound of fat to put on before birth.

Maternity clothes: You know how you have those tops that are big on you non-pregnant and you keep them around for that day you get pregnant and can wear them? The truth is, you can't really wear them pregnant. But you can try. See above.

Stretch marks: Just the little tiny on the right, if it even is one

Belly button: Out :(

Sleep: Not too great. I get tired early but wake up often and am up before the sun. Guess it's mommy prep because I really don't mind waking up so early.

Miss anything: Wearing the majority of my shoes. I have like 2 pairs I can squeeze my puffy porkers into.

Food cravings: Cupcakes and ice. I'm pretty sure pregnancy has augmented my cravings for foods I already love.

Died and gone to heaven

Symptoms: Swelling, peeing like a race horse, and aches and pains. I get out of bed and feel like I've run a marathon the day before right down to aching feet. It thankfully doesn't last more than an hour.

Rings on or off: Off :( I have started wearing an old band that was always a little big on me in place of my wedding ring.

Mood: A little anxious and sad. I had my 36 week appointment a little early this week, which included an exam (I'm fingertip dilated and not effaced), my GBS test (negative!), and an ultrasound. Baby JEB is still breech. I chose not to do the external version and opted to schedule my c-section for Monday, May 6 when I would be 39 weeks even. I cried the remainder of the day. Not because I feel like I'm missing out on something by not delivering vaginally, but because I really didn't want to have surgery. Not to mention it feels odd to "pick" the baby's birthdate. But the Lord's plans trump my own, and there is a good reason my little guy is still heads up at this point. Trusting that this delivery will be safe, smooth, and the best thing in the end.

Best moment this week: Visiting home, my Spartanburg baby shower, and Claire's wedding! Again, so many to choose from. 

Sweet Claire's wedding in Charlotte




Kisses from some of Joseph's favorite aunts!






Last shower!





 Me and the Spartanburg hostesses :)












Amaaaaazing quilt Gigi (aka my mama) made for baby Joseph. So so special.

Looking forward to: Krissy's visit to Bluffton for lunch, maternity pictures, and our childbirth class.


How far along? 36 weeks, and his liver and kidneys are fully functioning. He has rigid gums and smooth skin. He's almost ready!

Total weight gain/Baby size: 31.5 pounds and my honey is the size of a honeydew. My ultrasound estimated 5 pounds give or take a pound last week!

Maternity clothes: Oh yeah

Stretch marks: Oh no

Belly button: Oh out

Sleep: I slept pretty good this week, but I'm still waking up often. Mostly because parts of me fall asleep if lying on them too long. Strange, but the doctor says this is all normal. Seeing her every week at this point. I'm still only fingertip, 25% effaced, and he's high. I think my ribs could vouch for that one.

Miss anything: Non-aching feet. And warm weather. Isn't it spring already? 

Food cravings: Ice and chocolate. 

Symptoms: Fatigue, aches and pains, and reflux. Yuck. And swelling.


Rings on or off: Most definitely off

Mood: Excited, nervous, a little stressed. I have not packed my hospital bag or the baby's. Trying to finish up the nursery, which is basically done.













Etsy mobile

Best moment this week: Setting up the car seat and strollers with daddy Joseph. 


Also, taking maternity pictures, enjoying our childbirth class, and spending some time outside. 







Sneak peak at our pictures!
Gorgeous Wormsloe Plantation




Childbirth class



No flash photography please! Check out our "model" parents from 1985 on the screen behind me.

Looking forward to: My last week of work and welcoming our little boy home in a few short weeks.


Since I'm finishing this post up the DAY before my scheduled section, looks like weeks 37 and 38 may wait until he's out. Which is ok. I'm learning to deal with losing control. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment